Penmaenpool is a small village about three miles west of Dolgellau. Its main claim to fame is the old toll-bridge which crosses the Mawddach.
Penmaenpool used to be a stop on the railway, which was closed in the 1960s. The bridge was built in 1879 by the Penmaenpool Bridge Company under the patronage of John Leigh Taylor of nearby Penmaenuchaf Hall. It replaced the ferry which used to carry passengers across.